Suitable for any level and stages of pregnancies
“There is so much fear and anxiety from the first day of knowing you are pregnant. Instantly you are informed of the risks involved by the medical profession. A woman who can breathe and keep her spine well aligned will be less likely to become depressed or anxious.”Pregnancy is a great personal journey for a woman and is a special time of physical and mental change. Birthlight pregnancy yoga classes have been at the forefront of selecting and adapting yoga practices that are safest and most suitable for pregnant women. By practising this style of pregnancy yoga the body is strengthened and toned and many women find that they regain their shape and fitness quicker after giving birth.
Francoise Freedman, spoken word 27.06.2009
In a typical pregnancy yoga the class focus is to prepare the body and mind for labour and birth by releasing tension through body awareness exercises, breathing techniques and transverse abdominal strengthening exercises, supported balancing postures, standing poses, seated and lateral poses, focus and relaxation.
Spending time in a pregnancy yoga class with other women can be an emotionally bonding experience and many friendships are formed at this time.
Research has found there to be many health benefits of pregnancy yoga. The following are the main health benefits of pregnancy yoga for expecting mothers:
- First-time mothers are often under a lot of stress that comes from facing the unknown territory of being a parent: anxiety, self-doubt, worry and other negative emotions can all be triggered
- Yoga has a calming effect on the expectant mother, which in turn is transmitted to the baby
- Yoga teaches deep relaxation that can help to fall asleep and to sleep better
Keep Mum & Baby Healthy
- Focus on poses that strengthen and increase the flexibility of the muscles used during childbirth, whilst also increasing stamina, build endurance, muscle tone and strength (crucial in labour and birth)
- Create more space in the body and helping to alleviate some of the common problems often associated with pregnancy such as backache, heartburn, swollen limbs etc.
- Reduce the unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea, headaches and shortness of breath
- Prevent and relieve lower back pain, neck tension and improve posture and balance
- Improve circulatory, immune and digestive systems
- Studies have shown that pregnancy-induced hypertension (high blood pressure) can also be relieved with yoga
- Assist a deeper, more meaningful connection between mother and child during pregnancy
Prepare For Labour & Delivery:
- A focused breath will help with pain management during contractions and relaxation between them
- Improved nervous system to calm the mind and increase focus, endurance and pain management (in preparation for coping with the pain during labour)
- Yoga helps to open up the pelvis and strengthen and loosen the muscles used in childbirth
- Safe postures to prepare physically for birth
TESTIMONIALS“I began taking prenatal yoga classes with Olivia at 20 weeks. I had never previously practiced yoga and was apprehensive to join a class as I was worried about being inflexible and uncoordinated. I decided to begin with a private class in which Olivia immediately put my mind at ease by being clear that the positions would be challenging but never too much as they could be adjusted to suit me. I continued with private classes but also joined the weekly group session which I highly recommend for meeting and getting tips from other mums-to-be and great pre/postnatal advice and massages. For me the huge benefits of yoga with Olivia have been the feeling of energy after each class (great after a long day in the office), the noticeable improvement in my posture and flexibility and the building of my confidence to have a natural birth using the breathing techniques and positions practiced. ”
“I attended Olivia’s classes of yoga for pregnant women in English and I really enjoyed them. The classes helped me to stretch my body, I learned various breathing techniques and it was also great to meet other pregnant women. I also liked the fact that everything was in English. Olivia is very passionate about yoga and her personality makes you want to come again and again. I recommend Olivia’s classes as you may learn something new and you will have fun.”
(Martina, December 2013)
“Thank you for the birthing light yoga clases! It really helped, as my job involves running around most of the time and is fairly stressful so learning how to sit, breathe and just taking time to relax, I thought was a very important and useful skill while I gave birth. I was very calm through the whole process and that was because your classes helped me to gain stamina and I was able to stay at home through my early labour which lasted 24 hours, and it meant that when I finally got to the hospital everything went nice and quick. Thanks again, highly recommend!”
(Rebecca, December 2013)
Birthlight The Birthlight approach is holistic: we believe in addressing the needs of each woman and baby in supportive small classes that extend to partners and family circles. We share the view that normal birth is accessible to a majority of low risk pregnant women but each woman’s choices are deeply respected. The positive, active yet relaxed atmosphere of birthlight classes aims to convey a shared feeling of celebration and enjoyment of this very special time of transformation and growth. All babies deserve a warm and loving welcome into this world!.